Basmati rice 1 cup
Mung dhal,split yellow 2 cups
Vegetables as per your constitution
Water 7 cups (approx.)
Salt a generous pinch
Ghee 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds 3 tsp
Cumin seeds 2 tsp
Ground turmeric 2 tsp
Ground coriander 2 tsp
Ground fennel 2 tsp
Asafoetida (hing) 1 pinch
Options for Vata or Kapha conditions: add a pinch of ground ginger, for Pitta: leave out the mustard seeds. For ama conditions: leave out ghee
- Wash the rice until the water is clear. Wash the dhal until the water is clear. Prepare any vegetables such as zucchini, asparagus, sweet potato, or carrots, that suit your constitution. Cut them into reasonably small pieces.
- Sauté the seeds in the ghee or oil until they pop, then add the other spices.
- Add the mung dal and salt. Sauté for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add boiling water, bring to the boil, then simmer for 30 minutes or until the dal is about three quarters cooked.
- Add rice and vegetables. Stir to combine, adding extra water if required. Bring back to the boil, then simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is fully cooked.
- Aim to have minimal water remaining, leaving the lid on the pot to allow any excess water to be slowly absorbed.
To ensure proper elimination, if taken exclusively for several days, increase fibre rich vegetables and the quantity of ghee or use brown rice (for the rice bran) or add seeds with water.
Posted in: RecipesLeave a Comment (0) ↓